Friday, February 27, 2009

Lights

Matthew 5:14 says, "You are the Light of the World."

So, what if I feel like a penlight instead of a headlight?

The other day I realized a little bit about some of those Bible analogies of light. We had gotten a new truck, and one thing about Army trucks is that the headlights that come with them are super lame. This truck happened to be at the front of our convoy, and while we were on a base, we got totally lost. This truck took a turn down the wrong road, because the crew couldn't see very well. They curved down a road that bottle-necked, and suddenly the truck got stuck in a position where the whole convoy had to somehow back up. It took forty minutes to extract all our trucks out of the bottleneck.

When we got back, we immediately installed a whole bunch of more powerful brighter lights, so that would never happen again.

We live by our ability to see. The more we can see, the more we can prevent bad things from being able to happen. In the military, even when it's dark, we use night vision, so that we are never blind.

It makes me think about whether I am really a 1,000,000,000 candle super-powered city on a hill type light like I want to be , or a pen light. I want to be able to make people wear sunglasses because I am so in love with God, and it just radiates like no-body's business.

Lately I've been frustrated with myself because I'm not sure that I'm any different from nice non-Christians. I want to be different.

I suppose the key to that is the other light analogy God uses in Psalm 119:105, "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."

So God and His word is my light, and I am everybody else's light. I don't want to be the one to break the chain on either side. I've got to get my light word, and reflect it so that the people around me have light.

God, please be the light to my path, and help me light up the world. Sometimes it is really hard to keep Your standard. I constantly fail, and disgust myself. Help me to not get too hung up on stomping on the snake of my sin, and forget to look the path you've lit, trip and fall, and fail to light the path for others. I don't want to distract myself. I want to love You too much to fail You.

4 comments:

kari.jackson said...

I love your analogies bro. This was a great post, that I think so many of us can relate to...wanting to be BRIGHTER than we are so often!

Miss ya uncle bobby!
love,
ben, kari, derek and Z

Unknown said...

"help me not to get too hung up on stomping on the snake of my sin." great line. i love the light metaphors of scripture, especially living in such a dark place. when its sunny here, the entire world looks different. everything i drive by and see is so strange looking that it doesn't even look like the same place. that seems like a good link to God's light, the Word's light, and our light. adding it changes everything about the world around us. and makes everything possible.

beckyjoy said...

I love what you wrote here! It is so easy to just coast through life and never truly live for Christ! I find this analogy great because I was explaining how I was feeling in my own walk with the Lord and I use a similar comparison. I know that I want God to shine through me and I know that God does shine through you...trust me I've seen it. Keep up what your doing. God is using you in amazing ways and even though you might not see it you are having an impact on peoples lives!
Miss ya,
Becky

abb said...

This post made me think about how God works in light, how He uses it to reveal not only darkness but also Himself. I wonder just how many different references there are to light in the Bible? And how many different contexts He uses it in? I've never thought about this before, but "light" is a HUGE theme in the Bible -- not only with the scriptures you mentioned, but others, too. Hmm. You've got me thinking.